Thursday, May 22, 2008

Trailing The Legend of Dayang Pelawar

I am back from Kayan Mentarang National Park. Safe and sound. In one piece. So does the rest of the team members. In fact, we had a fruitful and enjoyable journey - travelling off the beaten track.

No doubt, Kayan Mentarang offers more than its rich biodiversity. It brings me back to the time of my ancestors. Where simple lifestyle prevails and richness of warmth hospitality is still profoundly touching.

Despite my hectic schedule of travelling and so many things to do, I am trully blessed and rejuvenated with what the intact jungle and unique nature has offered. Just enjoy the pictures below and let it speak by itself.



Aerial view of the intact yet friendly forests in Krayan - you will hardly see 'red snakes' there.. Its all merely green.




Upon landing at Lg Rungan/Tanjung Pasir airstrip.



The Cessna flight that took us - and we really enjoyed the flights. It was run by MAF and all pilots are from America and Canada. They have to go through thorough training and special classes before they allowed to fly to Krayan.






On our first day at Lg Rungan - enjoying the view on the green, green grass.
From Left : Zainal (Photographer), Me, Rona, Paulus and Ezainee (Videographer)



The 'Gudang' or airstrip at Lg Rungan.



After lunch we were taken to Ulu Redan for some light river cruise whilst watching some carved stone along the river. We were darn lucky as we manage to watch groups of hornbills flying above us atop of the trees and it was sooo beautiful. As we move on, a huge monitor lizard was relaxing on the sand and butterflies are everywhere..



Rona and Zainal (I guess Zainal is watching the hornbills flights)



The rapid.





Tengayen. And the story of Dayang Pelawar related with this.



The last spot at Ulu Ridan. It was soo beautiful.

After dinner, our guide tells us the story of Dayang Pelawar and how it relates to our cruise that afternoon. The next day, we continue the journey of trailing the legend to Batu Sicen.



Rona and I.



The team at Batu Sicen



And guess what? Ariel and I attended the same church and she wore cap bearing DUMC logo. And we have marked the land as how far DUMC has been!



Climbing the rock.




Beautiful and lively jungle.




A sight to behold.

Stay tune to our new packages and you will be able to know the real story of Dayang Pelawar and enjoying the journey.

Thank You Father, for the good trip and journey mercy.

Tomorrow I will be flying off to the United States.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi sandy, I'm heading off to Kayan Mentarang next week (13 May 09), organised by Borneo jungle safari. I've seen that u've been there! It must be a very exciting trip. Oh, and i've seen the video too and now am psyched bout the upcoming adventure. My main motivation is to document its beauty through my lenses. And also to document the life of the people there. I was just wondering whether you can share with me more pictures of the area? This is so that i can prepare myself and visualise in my mind the kind of photograph i want to take. And also, is the trekking strenous? If it is, I might need to bring a proper bag for my camera. otherwise, a normal camera bag would do.

I would also appreciate if you could give me tips whether it is appropriate to photograph the locals tattoo. I will also check this with the guide, but it would be great if i can find out earlier. I'm also thinking of doing a little research on the local culture (including tribal tattoo) before my trip so i won't miss any photo opp!!

Your response would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Aida, KL